Thursday, June 4, 2009

Mother and Baby Escape Apartment Fire

Authorities are crediting working smoke detectors with potentially saving the lives of a mother and her baby, whose apartment caught fire Wednesday morning. The blaze was reported just before 10 am at an apartment complex located at 2461 W. Broad St. Officials say the fire apparently started in the kitchen area of Apt. 5, apparently from something left on top of the stove. The fire was contained to that apartment, although officials evacuated the entire complex and conducted a head count to make sure all of the residents were accounted for. Sheriff's Deputy Herb Snow says Putnam County's fire department personnel were able to quickly extinguish the blaze and the residents were allowed to return to their apartments. He says the woman in Apt. 5 had been alerted by smoke detectors going off and was able to get herself and her small baby out before the fire spread.