Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Cigarette Blamed For Minor House Fire

For at least the second time this month, the Putnam County fire department has responded to a blaze that was apparently started by a cigarette. Firefighters responded to a call at a home on Bluff Top Road, where a small fire apparently started when someone accidentally threw a cigarette into the trash can in the bathroom. The homeowner said he thought the cigarette had been put out when he put it in the trash, but later noticed the fire, which was quickly put out with no appreciable damage to the structure. That comes about two weeks after two juveniles came close to starting a trailer fire on West Broad Street. The two allegedly admitted that they had been smoking after the adults in the home went to bed and had apparently tossed some lit cigarettes into a bathroom trash can.