Friday, April 16, 2010

State Awards Grant To York Preservation Group

The effort continues to preserve the historic York Institute building in Jamestown. Although the state of Tennessee has decided to turn the operation of the school over to the Fentress County School System, officials say that decision is separate from the decisions to continue rehab on the building. In fact, the Tennessee Historical Commission has announced a Historic Preservation Fund grant to at least two local activities that support the preservation of historic and archaeological sites, districts and structures. The grants awarded come from federal funds allocated by the Department of Interior under the provisions of the National Historic Preservation Act. The programs authorized by this Act are administered by the Tennessee Historical Commission. The grants pay for up to 60 percent of the costs of approved project work and the grant recipient must provide the remaining 40 percent of the costs as matching funds. In Fentress County, the Sgt. York Patriotic Foundation received $46,000 for the completion of protective stabilization at the York Agricultural Institute in Jamestown. And East Tennessee State University got $9,500 to fund an archeological survey of Pickett State Forest.