Sunday, September 19, 2010

FEMA To Assist Local Officials With Applications

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and Tennessee Emergency Management Agency (TEMA) are now working with the state and local governments and certain non-profit organizations in Putnam and nine other Tennessee counties to begin the application process for federal reimbursement of eligible response and recovery costs associated with the August flooding.

"We're working with the state to start the process for public assistance applicants to submit their requests for federal funding," said Federal Coordinating Officer Gracia Szczcech. "Our goal is to assist them in getting the grant money needed to restore infrastructure back to pre-disaster condition."

FEMA assigns public assistance officers to work with eligible government and non-profit entities to help guide them through the application process. For approved projects, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the cost. The state and applicant are responsible for the remaining 25 percent. Projects may include debris removal, emergency services and repair or replacement of damaged public roads, bridges, utilities and facilities. Qualified private non-profit organizations may also receive assistance to restore certain kinds of facilities. These include educational, utility, emergency, medical, custodial care and other essential services.