Sunday, October 17, 2010

Fatal House Fire Ruled Accidental

A frayed extension cord. That's what authorities say caused the fatal fire that took the life of long-time Cookeville resident Margery Hargrove earlier this year. A report confirms that the fire in July was accidental in nature. Fire chief John Kendrick told the Cookeville Herald-Citizen that the lightweight cord had a fan, a lamp and an oxygen machine plugged into it, and had become frayed -- perhaps by being rolled over by Ms. Hargrove's wheelchair.  They believe the electrical fire was sparked from the extension cord and quickly spread to a bookshelf that contained several papers. Although autopsy results have not yet been released, officials say they believe she died of smoke inhalation.