Thursday, September 12, 2013

Why I Don't Have An Outrageous Accent

     You've probably noticed that the Internet is full out of outrage. Some people seem to be offended by just about everything that comes along. I'm not one of those people. I don't get offended by even the most outrageous things. However, I am easily annoyed, which is, I suppose, a mild form of outrage.
     For example,  I once had a co-worker deny knowing anything about  a relatively non-importanat work issue when, in fact, he was the ONLY person in the entire organization who could have had knowledge of it.  He had made a mistake and didn't want to take responsibility for it. I can't say I was outraged, but his insistence that he didn't know what was going on really, really, really annoyed me. I spent far too much  energy that day stewing over why this idiot didn't just say something like, "Oops, my bad," and move on with the day.
     That's the problem with minor annoyances and my reaction to them.  I cannot keep from being annoyed and then I'm annoyed that something so small was annoying to me.  (As a side note, I cannot watch "Annoying Orange" because the show lives up to its title.) Outward annoyance usually leads me to inward reflection, but has yet to provide any kind of enlightenment.
      I don't know why I can't get worked up over the things that set most people off when I can go on a tirade about, say, the old lady in front of me driving FIVE MILES below the speed limit.
     "Oh, come on, Granny! Some of us have places be!" I shout to the dashboard of my car. 
     And yet if someone makes an inappropriate and politically incorrect joke, I either laugh or decide that, regardless of subject matter, the joke just isn't funny. I don't get upset. Even if I did, I wouldn't share the outrage with all my friends on followers on social media in the hope that they might also get upset.
     So why, I ask myself,  do I get genuinely upset when a meeting drags on longer than it should because the speakers can't get to the point, already? Why do I have such a visceral reaction when someone grabs something out of my hand, rather than waiting for me to give it to them?
     I think, probably, because the minor life annoyances all involve me personally, while the the major world problems (take your pick) don't really affect me. 
    The other day, I was asked to edit a piece of writing as a favor to a friend. In other words, I wasn't getting paid.  The writing was so incredibly disorganized and grammatically atrocious that I began to resent the fact that I had to spend so much of my time slogging through it.  I experienced outrage. The rest of the world was expressing outrage (or something close to it) about the Syrian civil war, the NSA, or the plot line of "Sons of Anarchy." Me? I was outraged by poorly written words on a page.
     My priorities are clearly out of whack, but maybe that's a good thing. I have been able to live for many decades in an almost uninterrupted state of constant annoyance. I'm not sure I would have survived being outraged for that long.